Migration to Odoo15
Odoo is an open-source platform that can be used in managing the day-to-day activities of a business organization. It has a lot of modules to manage each area of a business like accounting, crm, sale, purchase, etc. The biggest advantage is that in Odoo modules are integrated so that the data or the changes made can be reflected in its dependent modules and we need not have to search in different modules for different scenarios. Odoo releases an updated version every year. This updated version fixes the issues and limitations of the older version. So the migration to newer versions is necessary so as to utilize the advantage of the updated version.
Odoo15 is the latest version. Both back-end and front-end features are enhanced in this new version. Here we can look at how migration from Odoo14 to Odoo15 can be done and also manage the risks associated with it.
In simple words, migration can be defined as upgrading the existing odoo working platform to enhance its performance. Care should be taken while migrating as all the related data, customer details, vendor details, other accounting documents should not be lost. Also, those who use the system should be able to access it the same way as before. All these factors should be considered while going for migration.
Migration can be done in two ways-
- Migration of the Data.
- Migration of associated Apps.
Migration helps in keeping the company data properly without any loss or any alterations. That is, maintaining the exact data in the database after moving to the latest version. Ensure that the data is capable of adapting to the new version of Odoo.
Taking the migration of apps, apps are generally made for carrying out a specific functionality. So while migrating these older apps or modules needed to be included in the newer version without any alteration or loss.
The Purpose behind migration to Odoo15:
Odoo15 has been introduced with new features. The basic modules have undergone a few changes which have fixed earlier bugs and added a new feature. We can look for some of the newly added features in Odoo15-
- Gift card option is introduced in Odoo15 as a payment method.
- The favorite products can be now marked and filtered out.
- Customers can add their signature to the sale order.
- Batch payment is enabled by the generation of CSV files.
- Replicated serial numbers and also the negatives stocks in inventory can be easily detected.
Handling the risks:
As discussed above migration is a risky task and care should be taken. So let us look at how these risk factors can be reduced. Before going for migration, make sure that it is done by an Odoo service provider who has experience in handling various migrations. Below are some factors which have to be considered in migration.
- Maintain backup so that even if any issue occurs we can use our data stored in backup.
- Proper and detailed study has to be made before planning for migration. The need for migration should also be understood.
- Costs associated with migration should be analyzed.
- The sample data and the platform migrated should be tested to avoid data import. As in the case, any error that occurs the system will stop working and it affects the company. So to avoid the risk, the platform has to be tested.
- The data and the assets which are needed to be included in the new version have to be assessed and prioritized.
- Sometimes the migration can be a time-consuming process and the companies cannot halt their working on behalf of this migration. So the old version and new version have to be run in parallel in pilot mode while the system is preparing in the backyard.
- Diagnose the platform which has undergone migration to assure that the data is depicted and is available as defined.